Saturday, January 28, 2012

You can't go in there like THAT!

I read a BLOG post today on one of my favorite sites, Rest Ministries  The devotional post was focused on I Peter 1:3-7.  You can find the link to that devotional here. I loved the focus of this devotional. I have never thought about it quite this way.  The idea being that we are refined by fire so that, like clay, we can be made into firm pottery, so that we can withstand this world and pass on our faith to others: a gift to withstand that ages.

But in reading this I also was reminded of the game I am playing with my boys (WARNING: GEEK REFERENCE: The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword.  We love these games and have played almost every one.  Our brave hero, Link, starts out as a boy with a quest to save his beloved friend, Zelda.


 His life is simple until one day everything is turned on its head.  He confronts physical challenges and demons and with each passing trial he gains more "hearts" and becomes stronger, more skilled, until he is ready to face the final "boss" and rescue Zelda.  In the game we are playing the hero faces literally what are called "trials".  With each that he overcomes his spirit becomes stronger and more ready. At the end he will be able to pass through to the final stage, ready to enter.



We all know that we face trials here to strengthen our faith.  But today I saw a new image.  Like our hero, and like the clay in the Rest Ministries devotional,we can't enter Heaven as a little boy or as a soft lump of clay.  The Spirit that is within us knows us intimately. As intimately as He knows the heavenly kingdom. And he understands what we need to be in order to be ready. He sees our progress through this life and says "you can't go in there like that."

Am I saying that one must endure trials to enter heaven and receive salvation?  No, definitely not. That's not my point at all.  In fact there may be those out there who hearts and souls are made of gold and ready from day one.  But the bible is clear that we will endure trials.  It's a certainty. During our trial, I had only two choices: walk forward, or walk away.  What would it have meant to walk away?  It would take a while to further clarify this point but for now, just know that's not what I mean to say.

It also says that we should count them all joy!  Like a bride who goes through days of beauty treatments (some of them more painful than others) so that she is a beautiful presentation to her groom, we are being made more presentable to our Lord. Refined by fire, made beautiful and polished, perfected, completed, strengthened, all to be ready to do what we are called to do here, and I imagine there will be things to do in heaven as well.  

I can not look back on the last three years and not feel so incredibly grateful!    I can look back and see that, like Link, my soul was being infused with understanding, my faith strengthened.  I am not the girl that entered this walk three years ago.  I have more joy, now, than I ever had before! How is that possible?  How can you go through a season of loss and how can your life utterly change and on the other side be happier that you were before?  Refining doesn't just equal steel, it equals joy.  Because I can sense the changes within me. I am joyful because I am changed.   I feel more presentable, more ready to face the challenges of life that will, without a doubt, still come at us.

I know someone right now that is going through one of the worst trials imaginable.  Their child has brain cancer.  The Dad writes BLOG posts on Caring Bridge (for a real lesson in faith, go visit, you will fall in love with this family).  I am amazed at where this father is spiritually.  He sees so clearly what this is about.  He is a mouthpiece for God in nearly every one of his posts. Such a courageous Christian family.  They are already in a place where it has taken me years (and tears) to get to.  What more can there be for them to learn?  There must be something.  I'm following along with this family. I want to watch their faith grow beyond where it is. It's startling to me to think that is even possible.  I want to learn from them. I want to know what immeasurable spiritual gift is on the other side. I follow them also so that if there is anything I learned, any peace that I was given in my trial, that I can lend to them, I will know it, and be ready to do it. If you are in a high place in your life, don't forget those down in the battle. Lend them your strength through prayer, words, scripture, hugs. That walk is hard while you're in it, don't let any one walk alone.

Whatever image speaks to you: refined as silver, hardened like pottery, made presentable to the groom, made ready to enter, or a hero's spiritual infused trial, grasp on to that and understand that it is to change you into something better. Be forewarned, you will not be the same.  You will be presentable in the finest spiritual garb. I imagine the Holy Spirit standing back, looking at his masterpiece, and saying "And now, you are ready. You may enter."

No comments:

Post a Comment